Prospect All Age Graduation Speech (June 30, 2010)



Kimesha (right) presenting a set of well needed books textbooks to Mrs. Morris, Principal of the Prospect All Age School in Clarendon. The books were purchased and presented to the school to improve the literacy of students from grades one to three. The donation was made at the recent graduation and prize-giving ceremony, and was the result of a collective effort by members of the Past Students' Association. (Photo courtesy of Zantee's Photo Production)


Principal Mrs. Morris, teachers, distinguished guests, parents, guardians, students and graduates, good afternoon. 

“Music brings togetherness and togetherness brings happiness, even if I’m feeling depressed, the only thing to wash away my sadness is the sound of the music, how could I refuse it? No matter what is my problem when the music plays all my troubles are washed away....” 

Those are the words that start one of my favourite songs. For the more mature people in the audience, you might know that song was done by Admiral Tibet, and it is truly an inspiring song. 

(Explaination - I love music and it keeps me going)

But for the younger ones who have not found the appreciation for songs like those, you might know this one:

CUE: Reggae Vibes - Shaggy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djo1KCRgiNU


I hope you enjoyed that as much as I did.

It is indeed a pleasure being your guest speaker today for several reasons; the most important is the fact that I am a past student of this very School. Like you, I spent my formative years right here at Prospect All Age.

I remember my first teacher Mrs Morris, and there are many experiences from grade one. “Mi used to get a whole heap a beaten,” you used to get beaten to?

Yes. But I am sure that she has taught us a lot, at least I know that I learnt a lot from my foundation experiences in grade one. My journey at Prospect All Age is still fresh in my memory, and the different experiences have been a constant music in my ears, reminding me of what is important in life, and that I must not take things too seriously sometimes.

Explain that they might be hurrying to leave school but will cherish experience later in life when at high school, university or working. 

Like some of you who will be collecting your presents today, I collected one every year for the six years that I was here. I found my rhythm and my music from an early age. I developed a love for reading, and that poised me for the growth and development that I saw in my later years.

However, if you are one of those who will not be collecting a present today, don’t be disheartened. If you show the interest, and put in hard work, I am sure you day will come. It might not be here at Prospect All Age, as some of you will be moving on to high school. But that my friend is an opportunity to start anew. 

For the graduates, you are fortunate to have this ceremony planned in your honour. For those who left here when I did in 1999, or before me, you know that we did not have the pleasure of being dressed like theses lovely graduates here today.

(Can I see a show of hands of those who did not have a graduation? Right I know you are here. )

That is because we only collected our prizes and knew that coming September, we would be at a different school. So graduates, give yourself, parents and teachers a hearty round of applause to show your appreciation for being here today.

PAUSE

(Come on I know you can do better than that.... That’s more like it.)

Each of us has a unique gift or talent that makes us special. You might not know it now, but I urge you to find out what yours is. Just like music, we have to learn from the basics whether it is playing an instrument, becoming a singer or a dj. It might be hard and frustrating when you turn a new leaf, or attempt a new task, but with dedication, you will excel. 

When I just started here I was one of those students who had to take the journey on foot from home which most of you call K John Corner to here. I had to take my lunch to school, and there were many days when there was no lunch at all. There were days when it was so difficult to attend school, but I found a music within myself, I found a love for reading, and with that came a love for learning and a love for school.

I remember when I was in grade six and I felt like giving up, but Mrs. Lewin would not allow it. She helped me to overcome, and with the determination that was within me, I did excel. 

I know that Mrs. Lewin spent a lot of time preparing the grade six students for their exams, and it is obvious that her teaching has yielded fruit. (Graduates, please stand and give Mrs. Lewin and all the other teachers who have helped you reach this far a round of applause.)

Teachers, I know things are difficult for you but you know there would be no other profession if you were not here to lay the foundation. I know too that things must be extra difficult, because it’s not like when I was here and we could get a good “beaten” if we were rude. 
The bad roads that you have to travel on must be a drawback—extra tired. Low salary, dealing with some unruly children- as students we were not always on our best behaviour. 

But the graduates and all those who will receive prizes today are a testimony that you are doing a great job, and I am proud of you.

To the parents and guardians, I know that today is a new chapter in your life, just as it is for the graduates and I must say a job well done. (Please give yourself a round of applause.) 

You have worked hard to bring you child this far, and it is indeed an achievement. I have one thing to ask of you though, please show interest in the activities that your child will participate in at high school. 

My father and my mother always expressed an interest in what I did at school. Even my bigger brothers who were my guardians never left me out an inch, and were always there for me. I must say thanks to my mom who was assisting me with assignments even while I was at University.

You should pay keen attention to all this is happening, as it is at this stage in life that many children lose focus, and lose sight of their goals. Please don’t get complacent.

Graduates you have come a far way.You should be proud of yourself for this achievement as it is a significant milestone in your life. However, you have a far way to go. It is the end of a single road in your long journey in life. I know you have worked hard to reach here, but don’t stop working just yet, because the reward for hard work is of course more work. So keep getting good grades even after you leave Prospect All Age.

•New environment—new friends, getting settled—
When you start school in September, things will be a lot different from here. You will be exposed to new ideas, subjects and you will meet new people, but in the midst of it all you must get settled and know what you are about.

•Find your own music, what makes you happy, what keeps you focused—
If it makes you relaxed and happy when you play video games, sing, dance, hang out with friends or listen to music like me, don’t be afraid to do these activities to calm yourself. As Admiral Tibet’s song mentioned, “Even if I’m feeling depressed, the only thing to take a way my sadness is the sound of the music...” Music works wonder for me when I am studying, tired or frustrated, so it is up to you to find out what makes your mind settled.

•Set goals and work towards them. Give example of guy who wrote his dream on a piece of paper and carried it around with him. “Know what your dreams are and follow them.”

•Don’t try to live your life alone, there are always people there to help you. While at Clarendon College, I often looked to Mrs Lewin for assistance, even in selecting the subject that I did, and I have never regretted asking her. Find that person who you are comfortable with, it could be your friend, a brother, sister parent or even a teacher, and allow people to help when you are at a crossroads and you need the help.

•Become involved at your school, become a volunteer. You might not see the relevance 
of that yet, but I can guarantee that being a volunteer will enable your intellectual and professional development and create avenues for you in the future. Employers like to know that they are workers have a love for volunteerism, and when you are a part of a group for the greater good, it works wonders.

• (Explain that I was shy before I started the PSA and how it changed me) *** more confident *** more outgoing 

•A perfect opportunity for you to volunteer is the Prospect All Age Past Students Association which I started last year. 

•(Explain how I got it started... and what it aims to do) I must thank those who have been doing a wonderful job by attending and participating in meetings. We had our first project to purchase some books and will be handing them over this afternoon.
It’s not all about the money. Think about what you can do for others at all times and not about what they can do for you.

•We need more volunteers so please sign up to be a part of the PSA. You can speak with me at the end of the graduation and start working for the school that has prepared you for life. You might not see it now, but I can tell you that you will cherish all the memories that you shared here at Prospect All Age. Some of you might be relieved that you are leaving, but there will come a time when you will year to be back here. The reality is that you might not come back as a student, but as a member of the Past Students Association, you will never forget Prospect All Age.

•Again, graduates, I am extremely proud of your achievements, and as you move on to a new chapter of your life, I implore you to follow some of the guidelines that I mentioned today. 

•First of all, tell yourself that you have achieved a lot by being a part of this batch of graduates. Secondly, find your own music, what makes you happy, what keeps you focused. 

•And, as you enter your new environment in September, remember that you will be at school for one purpose—to learn and develop yourself in all aspects. 

•Therefore, set goals and work towards them, even if it means writing it on a piece of paper so you will never forget. If you need help, ask and it shall be given. And I must tell you, I am always willing to help so you can call on me.

•But most of all graduates, wherever you go and whatever music you might be drawn to, please make Prospect All Age and its teachers proud.

I thank you.

Comments