"When I was a boy" - Recalling Christmas

Published December 2011
Growing up in a family that was thrilled about Christmastime remains a significant memory for many Jamaican fathers who cling to tales of times gone by, even as they try to preserve what is left of seemingly rapidly eroding traditions.
Jamie Ranston is one such dad. For him, the joy, family time and especially the gifts that took several days to open, all made the season an enjoyable experience, and the best time of the year. “Christmas was a big deal for me and my family, moreso my mother than my father. My mother's father had a love for the season and he passed that on to my mother. So Christmas was always a great occasion, all about family, togetherness, happy times, gift giving and just enjoying ‘the time’”, he told Positive Parenting in an interview. “My family members are all work-a-holics so I guess I could say there was no work going on at that time.”
He added that his family was not the religious type, so it was never about church or the holy reasons behind Christmas, but the emphasis was on spending quality time with the family, a routine that Raymond Simmonds and Lardian Robinson also share. “We always had a tree, lots of food, lots of gifts and it was mandatory you were present,” Ranston added. Reminiscing on the experiences, he explained that his childhood has paved the way for celebrations with his two children today.
So how does this doting dad ensure that his children get to relive the experiences he cherished as a child? He explains that the same customs are observed, including food (ham, sorrel and Christmas cake), gifts and family time. “We all go to my parents’ for the holidays so we've really not established our own version yet,” he confessed. “We do have a tree at home, but everything else happens at my parents’ house, we basically spend three or four days at there.”
Unlike Ranston, Simmonds has found a unique way of celebrating the season. Christmas has been a double dose of merriment since he met his wife Gladys, who is also mother of his three children. “Every time it comes to Christmas I feel much happier in myself. There is a special feeling and it’s like there’s no time to get upset,” he chimed, excitement high in his voice. “It makes me feel good to know that I can satisfy my family’s needs.”
Simmonds recalled Christmas in his childhood days as an opportunity to unwind, have fun, and share the joy with his siblings, relatives and parents, especially his father who was always busy. “It was the only time that we all sat at the table for dinner, so we looked forward to it very much.” But there is one special aspect that stood out more than all the fun and festivities. “I think toys superseded everything because we had to make most of our toys back then, so it was always good when we could get one as a gift.”
While stressing that things have long changed as toys are now available and purchased in abundance all year round, Simmonds is revealed that he is ensuring that his children carry on the legacy of his past Christmases. The main aspects include spending time with family throughout the season, having dinner together, and most importantly, celebrating the birth of Jesus. To cement that tradition is an annual family dinner where he travels to his wife’s extended family for a get together, and it has worked wonders thus far.
Robinson has a similar formula, the difference is that only his wife and two year old son get to share the fun with him, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain the Christmas traditions that are deeply etched in his memory. “Back then, the climate changed from early so I could feel Christmas and know that it’s coming, but I don’t feel it anymore,” said a remorseful Robinson. “Now, it’s like people are afraid to celebrate, I love pepper lights and I have some at home but I don’t put them up because I don’t want a high electricity bill.”
However, he is intent on ensuring that his son knows what the long-established celebration is about. Plus his love for the season has pushed him to find alternative. In an interview with Positive Parenting, Robinson revealed his strategy to keep Christmas alive. “We have a Christmas tree, and we take him to the park and places that are well decorated to let him see what Christmas is, so he can know that it is something different to look forward to it.” Food, cake and gifts are a value added in the mix, and Robinson explains why, “The thing is, I have to keep it alive so my son will know what it is all about.”

Comments