Likkle but Tallawah




Let’s pause for a moment of reflection.

What do you do to unwind after a long day at work?

After a long day of work, some people want to go home, rest, relax and rejuvenate themselves for another day. But not me. I relax by completing a full body workout at the gym.

Now, my gym is on the sixth floor of a multi-storey complex and there is nothing i enjoy more than riding the elevator alone on my way up. I use the quiet time to do a quick meditation and ready myself for the task ahead. 

On this particular day, I entered the elevator and was ready for my zen time.

“Wol di door fi mi please!” Shouted a Goliath-looking man from across the floor. A part of me wanted to shut the door quickly, but i had already made eye-contact with him. Ugggghhhh.

“Thanks slimmaz!” He was still shouting because he had on a pair of insanely huge earphones that were so loud i could every beat of what he was listening... “wine up mi body mi a wine up mi body.”
He was fully robed in a pink shirt, pink shorts, pink Nike shoes adequately complemented by pink bobby socks, pink gym bag and a pink water bottle. Either he had an unusual obsession with the colour pink, or breast cancer awareness month had moved from October to August.

As if his noisy earphones and his Powerpuff-girls-dressing wasn’t enough, he started to sing. “Wine up mi body mi a wine up mi body.” I was peeved. Zen time was totally demolished.

When we got to the third floor, he dashed out of the elevator and through the gym door. Free food maybe? Couldn’t tell.

Anyway, I changed into my gym wear and was ready to go.  First up – squats with the bar, which had 45lbs on either side – an overall weight of 90lbs. 

“But watch yah! Young lady mind yuh drop down inside here cause I don’t know how you plan to lift dat.” The voice came from behind me so I had to break my concentration to see who it was. Lo and behold, nuh Mr. Powerpuff girls!

“Don’t let my size fool you,” I rebutted. “mi likkle but mi tallawah.”

He laughed. “Step aside yaw let me learn you a lesson Ms. Tallawah, because clearly you think is a dolly house business dis…

Out of sheer curiosity, I stepped aside. He grunted, puffed his chest and stooped to lift the 90lbs bar from the squat rack.

His face got wrinkled. His eyes bulged. His knees started to shake like a leaf. Then he let out a loud ripping one man salute that sent everybody scampering for cover. He did not even do one squat!

He hung his head in shame and walked away. “bwoy…. Dis back pain yah really a gimme a warm time todeh,” he said, in an attempt to salvage his pride.

Then it was my turn. I got into position. Legs apart, knees parallel to elbows, back straight. I gripped the bar and steadied myself. One squat, two squats, three…all the way through to ten.

I returned the weights to the rack and looked at pink panther with a smirk on my face and reaffirmed “Mi likkle but mi tallawah.”

Ego now bruised, he demanded that the weights be increased to 130lbs, more than my body weight! I tried to caution him but he was adamant that he was going to prove a point.

He gripped the weights and lifted. One squat! Two squats! Pinky was defying the odds. But he started to sweat profusely. Then dropped to the floor with the weights. Splat like a ripe breadfruit, then curled up in the foetal position. The other men in the gym laughed him to scorn.

Again, it was my turn. Different weights, same treatment. I did all ten squats effortlessly, to a round of applause from the onlookers. I looked over my shoulder to him once again. “mi likkle…” and he interjected quickly “yeah yeah yeah… but yuh tallawah.”

Ladies and gentlemen, it is within each of us to reach deep inside and overcome whatever is weighing us down. What do you see when you move up to that bar of weights or the challenges in your life?

I implore you... Next time you see a potentially difficult situation; don’t judge that book by its cover. Take the time to read, to research and to re-imagine the possibilities. Think of our small island of Jamaica compared to the giants of the word as they go for gold in the Olympics. Usain Bolt, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Elaine Thompson - we likkle.... But wi tallawah.

We are not afraid to shine on the world stage and be the David to conquer the Goliaths out there. We have constantly beaten our opponents into submission, to the point where our latest Olympic talk is that “Di only person who have more silva dan Gatlin, a Judas.”

Since my experience at the gym, Goliath aka Mr. Powerpuff Girls always wants to add some extra weight to my exercise routine. If I have 10lbs, he would run to get 30 or 50, and say ‘yeah man, a your kinda ting dis.”

He now nods at me with respect, and calls me Samson, Hercules, or Superwoman but I simply look at him and say:

“Mi likkle.... But mi tallawah”.